Dear Fellow Retirees,
As I write this letter the spring newsletter I see my tulips and daffodils popping up in spite of the six inches of snowfall on April 1. I have recently returned from an outstanding meeting of NYSUT ED #51 under the leadership of Loretta Donlon, our director. The conference left me energized and ready to step into spring with the tools I need to represent you and your interests at the NYSUT Representative Assembly in Albany on May 3rd and 4th. As always, our goals as retiree council officers and board members are as follows:
- 1. Work to keep pensions secure and to improve COLA.
- 2. Work with in-service members and the community to secure access to affordable health benefits for all retired members.
- 3. Work to enrich the lives of retiree members through educational and social activities.
- 4. Continue to organize, represent, advocate for and provide services for retired members.
- 5. Work with in-service members to promote collective bargaining, political action, better education and improved health care working conditions.
- 6. Work for positive socioeconomic societal changes.
- 7. To defend income security (including Social Security and Medicare) for all retired workers. (Source NYSUT Retiree Handbook March 2018)
I would like to thank the many members who are sending in their voluntary contributions, it isn’t too late to send your once a year contribution. We do rely solely on your donations to support our efforts in keeping you informed and advocating on your behalf.
Enjoy the spring air, get out and do some outdoor activities!!
President, NYSUT RC #45